What is Post-Abortion Support?
According to Alan Gutmacher Institute (2006) research, about half of American women have experienced an unintended pregnancy, and at current rates more than one-third (35%) will have had an abortion by age 45. Abortion Recovery, whether through support groups or one-on-one sessions, exists as safe place for women (and men, separately) to address their individual reaction and find the support they need.
Some emotions or experiences of those struggling with a past abortion include:
- Deterioration of self-worth
- Feelings of helplessness or powerless
- Nightmares or flashbacks
- Depression or suicidal thoughts
- Painful emotions felt around the due date or abortion procedure anniversary date
- Avoidance behaviors (avoiding any person or situation that may trigger related emotions such as pregnant friends, infants, doctors, pelvic exams, etc)
- Eating disorders
- Difficulty bonding with future children
How do I know if counseling or a support group is right for me?
If you are experiencing any of the above listed symptoms and find it difficult to resolve these issues within yourself or if you would like to talk to someone in depth about your experience in a confidential and non-judgmental environment, WPC has options for you.
How can WPC help you?
WPC recognizes that a woman’s health encompasses all aspects of her being (physical, emotional, and spiritual). All abortion recovery counseling and support are designed to address each of these areas.
- Online counseling if you are not ready to meet face-to-face or if you do not live in the Los Angeles area.
- One-on-one counseling sessions if you do not feel that you can join a support at this time or if your abortion was less than 6 months ago.
- A 13-week abortion recovery support group. We have two group options:
- For women who have found their abortion experience has impacted their faith or are interested in exploring this, we offer a faith-based study called “Forgiven and Set Free”. Although it is a faith-based program, women of all faiths are welcome to participate and have been helped for many years by this particular support group.
- A 10 week discussion group based on the book “Healing is a Choice” is used to facilitate healing for those who are not interested or ready for a faith-based study.
Call WPC for information on the upcoming Post-Abortion Support groups or to schedule a counseling session.