What is Abortion Recovery?
The after-effects of my abortion were more traumatic than the abortion itself. It was painful and devastating. There were times when these emotions become so intense that I felt like I just couldn’t make it one more day. Those days seemed long & neverending but the truth is that I found hope and healing and laughter has replaced the sadness that once filled my heart. -Tiffany
By reaching out for help, I slowly released the secret pain I had been carrying for years. The recovery journey was filled with ups and downs but I can finally say that I have forgiven myself and embraced the joy I felt I had lost. -Katie
My abortion recovery experience was a process of finally dealing with the decision that I made, coming out of that shame and secrecy to move into a new state of hope and peace. -Dawn
According to Alan Gutmacher Institute (2006) research, about half of American women have experienced an unintended pregnancy, and at current rates more than one-third (35%) will have had an abortion by age 45. Abortion Recovery, whether through support groups or one-on-one sessions, exists as safe place for women (and men, separately) to address their individual reaction and find the support they need.
What are common symptoms expressed by those hurting from a past abortion?
- Deterioration of self-worth
- Feelings of helplessness or powerless
- Nightmares or flashbacks
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
Or the following specific symptoms:
- Emotional symptoms around or on the original due date or abortion procedure dates
- Avoidance behaviors (avoiding any person or situation which could trigger abortion-related emotions such as pregnant friends, infants, doctors, pelvic exams, etc)
- Eating disorders
- Sudden, uncontrollable crying
How do I know if counseling or a support group is right for me?
If you are experiencing any of the above listed symptoms and find it difficult to resolve these issues within yourself or if you would like to talk to someone in depth about your experience in a confidential and non-judgmental environment, WPC has options for you.
How can WPC help you?
WPC recognizes that a woman’s health encompasses all aspects of her being (physical, emotional, and spiritual). All abortion recovery counseling and support are designed to address each of these areas.
- Online counseling if you are not ready to meet face-to-face or if you do not live in the Los Angeles area.
- One-on-one counseling sessions if you do not feel that you can join a support at this time or if your abortion was less than 6 months ago.
- A 13-week abortion recovery support group. We have two group options:
- For women who have found their abortion experience has impacted their faith or are interested in exploring this, we offer a bible-based study called “Forgiven and Set Free”. Although it is a Christian based program, women of all faiths are welcome to participate and have been helped for many years by this particular support group. This is our most heavily attended support group.
- A 10 week discussion group based on the book “Healing is a Choice” is used to facilitate healing for those who are not interested or ready for a bible-based study.
Call WPC for information on the upcoming Abortion Recovery Support groups or to schedule a counseling session.